Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Lizard Queen

One thing I deal with in Death Valley that I never dealt with in Ohio is lizards. I once saw a newt at summer camp, but I didn't have any problems with it. Here, we get the occasional lizard in the house, and the cats freak out and chase it and that's it. Today we got two lizards in the house and I really can't blame them for coming in to try to get out of the heat. It was 127 degrees today, and even in the house with both air conditioners going it was unbelievably hot.

But the grossest lizard thing to happen also was this morning. Joe was changing the oil in the car, so I started cleaning the house and went outside to throw a load of laundry in the washer. I had Mony with me since Joe was busy, and she was getting into everything and making a mess so I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I threw a bunch of clothes in and started the washer. Joe came in the house and I told him I had started laundry. "Oh, did you take the dead lizard out of the washer?" Um, no? "Yeah, I saw there was a dead lizard in there last week when I moved the clothes into the dryer." This raised questions such as 'why would you leave a dead lizard in the washer when it's a hundred twenty some degrees outside for an entire WEEK', but I didn't get into it. I just told him I didn't notice the lizard so it must still be in there.

Well, obviously, I didn't want to deal with the aftermath of a dead lizard in the washer, and since it was kind of Joe's fault for not getting rid of it in the first place, I let Joe take over the laundry and cleaned the kitchen instead. He didn't find it in the washer or dryer, so his theory is that the lizard wasn't dead when he saw it last week and ran away at some point. I'm not sure if I buy that. I don't know if a lizard could even get out of the washer. It's a top loader. But I'm not going to argue. I just hope I don't find a dead lizard in my clothes when I'm getting dressed this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment