Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

I just don't know what to do with myself

Wow, Ramona went to bed super early tonight. She took an early nap, which usually means that she won't go to bed early, but will just be extra whiny the hour before bed. But after bathtime she was snuggled on my lap, having a bottle, watching Yo Gabba Gabba, when the super music friends show came on and she started hysterically sobbing out of nowhere. There was still another forty-five minutes until bedtime but it was apparent that she was just exhausted, so I put her to bed and she was asleep within two minutes. So now I have Friday evening all to myself and nothing to do. Joe's parents left us a bottle of wine when they visited so I opened that and am having a glass. It's St. Michelle's, which Joe's mom always buys because her name is Michelle and she likes to joke about how she's a saint already. I guess they left it because they needed to make room for all the Pahrump Winery wine they bought when they were visiting. But as I said earlier, I'm not a big wine drinker so it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to open the bottle. I didn't understand how to take the foil part off. I also don't think I use the cork opener thing correctly. Oh, well. I'm classy, what are you gonna do about it?

Tomorrow Ramona will be ten months old. This week has been pretty cool developmentally. I feel like she's interacting with us more. Before it seemed more like we were just reacting to one another. But she looks me directly in the eye now and motions when she wants out of the tub or crib or jumperoo or just wants picked up or put on the couch or bed or whatever. She takes so much pride in figuring out new things. I love the big grin she gets when she learns something new and she'll look at me to see if I saw her do it. It reminds me of being little and coming home from school and telling my mom about what I learned that day all excitedly. I hope she loves school and learning and reading as much as I did growing up.

Tonight she figured out she can make noise with her blocks. We were goofing around on the floor and I put a couple of her blocks on my face and she crawled over and took them off, one in each hand. She is just figuring out clapping so she made a clapping motion and hit the two blocks together. She got a huge grin on her face and then looked at me and kept clapping the blocks together like "Hey, mom, did you know I can make my blocks be really loud and annoying?? Isn't this great?" She kept doing it all evening. It was really cute. I'm thinking about getting her one of those little kid music sets with a tambourine and maracas and cymbals. I'm sure it will be annoying but I think she'll get a real kick out of it. She has a rattle that she's been having a lot of fun with over the past two weeks, so making noise is what she's all about at the moment. I was also excited because she used her block clapping knowledge later to clap her bath toys together to make noise. She learned something and applied that knowledge to something else!!! I was pretty impressed.

2 comments:

  1. My parents live in Pahrump. We always joke about how the only think to do there is go to Walmart. I enjoy your blog. I have never tried Pahrumoian wine, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely go to the winery if you're out here. The food was decent and they were really nice even though Ramona was kind of being a terror when we were there (just being whiny and throwing her food on the floor).

    ReplyDelete