Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Five Year Goals Revisted

I thought it would be fun to go back and see how many of my five year goals I've accomplished so far. I originally posted about them here. I definitely have a lot to do, but am pretty happy with what I've done so far.


Life goals-
Move back to the midwest- We did this November 2010
Get married- We did this September 2011
Have another baby- We will do this in June 2012
Finish the Brew Blanket- We're about half way done with this. I need to do a count and update on this soon.

Financial goals-
Buy a house- We are saving for a down payment and reading about mortgages and all that fun stuff now. Planning on actually doing it sometime late next year depending on what we find and how life is going.
Retirement Investing- I have a meeting with an adviser on Thursday, and am probably going to start doing more investing after we buy a house. Basically, we're investing, but not at an ideal rate at this point.

Physical goals- I have not even put a minimum bit of effort into any of these.
Run a half marathon in less than 2 hours 45 minutes-
Do a chin up-
Go ice skating-

Travel goals-
Cruise the Caribbean- Probably in two years
Go to Denver- Maybe next winter
Eat lobster in Maine- Definitely next summer!

Mental goals-
Finish my Master's degree- Supposed to graduate December 2013
Become CPA certified- Don't even want to think about this at this point
Work on my French skills/possibly Spanish- Maybe someday when I have free time again, which I doubt will be within the next three years. But, once my Master's is done, I could see me taking some language classes for fun, so who knows? I think this will be dependent on how dedicated to getting my CPA I am.

I think the biggest change in the next year will be a focus on financial and physical goals since my life goals will almost all be met and my travel goals won't be feasible until we have a bit more money and the new baby is a little older. I turn 30 in 2013, and I want to be in the best shape of my life then. So, I'm setting a lot of little goals once I'm done with this pregnancy that will give me a little over a year to get in decent shape. Hopefully, by that point I'll be able to cross off my physical goals. Or at least some of them. How hard is it to go ice skating?

It's kind of sad to look and see how few of the goals I've accomplished in the past almost two years, but I'm actively working on so many of them that I still feel good about it. I knew it would take awhile (I mean, I gave myself five years for a reason!) so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment